Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Cooking For Children: C4C


AH HA! Yet another foodblog event to feel guilty about, you say. No, it's not like that at all. Truly. I'd just like a place to collect all those tried and tested recipes that children love.

Food to cook for kids (like my little one, who isn't quite at the sous chef stage yet).

And food for children to make alongside you.

And perhaps, if they are budding little chefs, food that children can make for you while you have a lie in and a read of the paper. (Yeah, right!)

I'd been thinking about this for a while, and when local boy Tankeduptaco wrote about his concerns for children's party food, I decided I would start a monthly event called C4C and that birthday food would kick it off. But it dawned on me yesterday that I have dawdled so much in getting started that it's practically EASTER! So the first theme will be Easter Treats. Big Cooks can email me their link at favouriteplum(at)yahoo.com.au by Sunday 23 April. Actually, given that some people might like the inspiration, I'll put these up as received, but the summary will go up on the 23rd. I don't mind if it's something from your archives, all entries will be happily received!

In Easters gone by, I've dyed the hardboiled eggs and rolled them down a hill. I've painstakingly stuck halves of chocolate eggs together while hoping the shells wouldn't crack. I even made Nigella Lawson's fluffy Chocolate Cloud Cake, covered with pastel speckled eggs one year. The children, needless to say, were far more impressed with the tiny eggs which came out of a packet from the supermarket! This year, I think I'll take Trish Deseine's idea of moulding melted chocolate and breakfast cereal. Much easier for little hands and that great crunchy taste! Tune in for updates ...

To sum up:
First monthly event of Cooking For Children C4C is Easter Treats
Posts to favouriteplum(at)yahoo.com.au by 23 April 2006.


Have fun!

5 Comments:

At 4:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This post brought back fond memories of all the egg painting I did every Easter with my boys when they were little. One year we dyed the egg shells and broke them into pieces and made mosaic pictures.

 
At 5:55 PM, Blogger Lucy said...

My kids are too old, but what a fantastic idea - I'll get thinking!

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger Journal Actif said...

I'll definetly try my best and send you something soon. This is a great idea!

 
At 1:21 PM, Blogger plum said...

Hi Barbara - my little one had his first Easter egg hunt this year. It is lovely to think of all the memories to come.

Welcome Lucy - I always like to meet another Melbourne blogger! I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Hi Zoubida - I went to look at your site and realised I'd been there already! The blog world is a very small place, isn't it? Speaking of saffron, I'd planned to make Nigella Lawson's Saffron Lamb from Feast for Easter lunch, but it didn't happen. Maybe I'll throw it in with the chicken soup ...

 
At 3:50 PM, Blogger G said...

Too bad I missed it! I did a lot of Easter treats this year

 

Post a Comment

<< Home