Saturday, April 08, 2006

Weekend Market: Collingwood Children's Farm


I didn't make it to Collingwood Children's Farm today (I was busy wasting my time elsewhere) but it DID remind me that I hadn't posted these pics from a month ago. I rarely take pictures at the markets because my hands are otherwise occupied and a camera is likely to be squashed under a giant pumpkin or four heads of broccoli and I don't remember anything in my warranty agreement about that. The photo above captures one of my favourite spots in the world. You come through the great gates and wander down the little path. Turn a bend and then suddenly this view opens before you. Graceful trees along a river bank. Grapevines nestled next to the footpath. Higgledy piggledy allotments, growing here there and everywhere. It makes me happy.


I was very cross when I looked at this photo and realised I'd missed out on the fresh pistachios! And even more so when I read this. But I can hardly complain. Apart from the smoked trout and overload of coriander, I scooped up vegetables and honey, a box of yellow peaches and the plumpest little sultanas I have ever seen.


Children love it here - the animals and the green add to the sense of freedom - they run wild on the grass or munch roasted corn on hay bales. This market is not strictly organic, but they do require "no spraying" at a minimum. I always am determined to limit my purchases and I always come away with way too much. The farm loans out its wheelbarrows to cart your stuff back to the carpark, but it's a farm and I'm never too sure what's been in there!

5 Comments:

At 8:34 AM, Blogger lazy cow said...

I didn't get there yesterday either. Too wet and windy for me, so stayed in and made hot cross buns. That bridge is my favourite bit as well! I think I've posted that picture myself too.
Have you tried the Lamb man's lamb, rosemary and mint sausages? Fantastic.

 
At 3:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds delighatful PLum I'm envious.

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger Ange said...

I have this in my diary every month to go but something always seems to come up & I have never made it - very slack of me I know - fingers crossed for next month

 
At 5:52 PM, Blogger Niki said...

I've also been hankering to go and never made it. Mainly because every single Saturday morning is taken up with rehearsals for me. Bah! I miss out on so many markets this way. We get one of our only Saturdays off this week, so I'm hoping to head to the organic produce market at CERES in Brunswick. Should be interesting.

 
At 9:11 AM, Blogger plum said...

Hi Cin - no I didn't see them. I remember seeing a huge bunch of people clustered around a stand and thinking I'd come back to it and didn't. That must have been the one! I don't know if I'll be at the next CCFFM as I'm trying to go to some of the country markets before they shut down over winter. But I could sure do with some more of those sultanas! The bubs loves them on his cereal.

Hi Lazy Cow - yes, I think I've seen it on your blog! I had some honey and rosemary sausages from the Kartanji Park lamb stall and they were great. Is that the one you mean? I've got some pics of those too!

Hi Barbara - they are really good fun. Perhaps we'll see you over here at one sometime.

Hi Ange - I only make it a couple of times a year but whenever I do I'm so glad.

Hi Niki - yeah, I remember when I had a Saturday morning job and all my friends were able to use the free tickets I got (from another job) to see previews of movies. It sucked! I've never been to that market at CERES but it's supposed to be good. And I hope your computer gets fixed soon because we miiiissssss you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home