Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Quick Easy Dinner: Chicken Breast With Lentils and Spinach


This isn't the sort of thing that would usually get a mention here. It's a very quick thrown together dinner, made up of leftovers and bits and pieces in the fridge. But it was simply so good that I need to jot it down here before it disappears onto the backburner in my head.

I had a couple of large Lilydale chicken breasts sitting around which I wanted to use up. (I get edgy when raw chicken's been in the fridge for a few days.) I tossed them into a pan with a splash of olive oil and fried on one side. When I turned the breasts over, I added slices of a Spanish onion and three anchovies in chilli oil. It sizzled and the pan was dangerously empty. I needed to add something to fill the rest of the pan before the oil started burning. One of the remaining containers in the fridge had half a tin of brown lentils from several nights ago. I thought of Nigella's recipe for sausages with lentils and dumped the rest in. A bit of salt and stir. When the dish was almost done, I washed the handfuls of wilting spinach and tossed it in. Two stirs of the spoon and turned off the heat. I came back to it a little later and served it up.

The flavours come together very well, the sweetness of the onion and the earthy robustness of the lentils. Quick. Easy. Delicious. QED

4 Comments:

At 10:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

THat looks totally yum. I am torturing myself. Having only had canapes and rice crackers with laughing cow cheese on them.

 
At 12:43 AM, Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

Love the look of this in that photo.

 
At 11:40 AM, Blogger Ange said...

Sounds delicious & we need the simple ideas too so keep them coming!

 
At 7:11 PM, Blogger Niki said...

Last year I discovered lentils mixed with some babaganoush and lemon juice....divine! Creamy, smoky tasting lentils, but without dairy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home