Monday, January 30, 2006

Wasabi Peas or Let Me Blow Your Mind


this is a really rubbish photo but there's something about wasabi peas that makes the macro function on my camera BLOW ITS MIND. Seriously. This is the best of a crap bunch.

Wasabi peas are such a delightful crunchy snack that it's a pity the picture doesn't do them justice. I was introduced to them a couple of years ago in a Hip Bar in Balaclava. You know, the kind of place that's full of concrete and dim lighting and doesn't have a name outside because all the truly Hip people can find it anyway?? I don't spend much time in Hip Bars these days, so when I do, I have to Shout It From The Rooftops (I was in a Hip Bar, did you hear?). Anyway, enough rambling from a demented housewife.

The wasabi pea handful has to be measured carefully. Get it right and you have an addictively good pre-dinner nibble. Pick up the wrong two peas in a pod however, and feel the wasabi blast through the space behind your eyesockets! I mutter obscenities, chew frantically and swallow. And reach for another handful. Hmmmn, not too bright am I?

But when they're good, they're soooo good. And available at most Asian groceries and sushi stores.

4 Comments:

At 4:49 PM, Blogger Ange said...

I love these too & always have some in the pantry to nibble on & ut out for unexpected guests, and I love it when you get a really hot wasabi packed one. Also am very cheeky in giving them to friends who dont like hot foods when they dont know what they are - not always a welcome surprise :)

 
At 12:42 PM, Blogger Niki said...

I still remember tricking my friend into eating a big teaspoon of the stuff once, telling her it was avocado. I seem to recall she fell off her stool....

 
At 2:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found some chili cashews at my local deli. They were a huge hit at our next barbecue.

 
At 9:30 PM, Blogger plum said...

Ange, I couldn't keep these in the pantry - I'm lucky if they're still some in the bowl when the guests walk in!

Oh Niki, I can't even imagine the wasabi explosion! It's so unlike anything else - such a sensation.

And kitchen hand and Cin - chilli cashews and cuttlefish and shrimp peas make me feel very unadventurous! I must get out there and try some new things! Been intending to do my own spiced nuts for a while but it's fallen to the bottom of the list.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home