Saturday, February 11, 2006

moving


I take a break from packing boxes (and peeking out behind them at Iron Chef) to advise that we are in the midst of moving (to the country no less!) so posts will be a bit sporadic from now on (I can't use that word without thinking of Clueless.)

There have already been long and irritating discussions with the phone company and short of sending out a technician (and charging over $200 for that privilege) it seems doubtful that they can figure out what the phone number should be, let alone connecting to the internet. So I may be a while.

But the packing process is fruitful. As I fill box after box with books, I discover many lost or long-ignored treasures. I stand there dreamily thinking "Oh, it's been so long since I cooked that!" and "I must get around to making this", forgetting that time is going by and I have already vastly underestimated the number of boxes needed to pack our book collection. You see, I calculated based on the few boxes I'd already packed of paperback novels and the like. This fell to pieces when I started packing the cookbooks, which are often 3 or 4 times the size of a standard paperback. I have been back to buy more boxes twice already and heaven help me if we run out tomorrow because the shop will be shut. Ahem.

I am a thorough packer, which can drive people wild because I will stop and sort through a bag of receipts before putting it into a box. This leaves me days behind schedule and a few hours before the truck arrives I am wildly throwing things into boxes labelled "Deal With Later". I intend to be more organised this time and therefore the wild throwing will take place tonight instead.

2 Comments:

At 8:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How exciting to be moving. I'm looking forward to reading all about your new destination in the country.

 
At 8:16 PM, Blogger din said...

Here's hoping it's a painfree move and surprise-free moving in. Hope you do get internet soon and don't disappear for too long.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home