Saturday, April 22, 2006

Naked Grape


What kind of person buys wine because it's described as "toffee apple"?? I mean really, would you want me to choose your drink for you?

Wandering around Bay Street before Easter with visitors, we had some time to spend. After a leisurely coffee at Readings bookshop (Plumbaby got to play with the toy trains and I got to check out Tessa Kiros' gorgeous new book Apples for Jam), CDs were purchased, muffins were consumed and then it was off for a stroll. Sweetshops, pet shops (try separating the Plumbaby from a kitten and see what happens!) and much more.

Then we came to the Naked Grape and the activity stalled. They sell a range of Australian wines, labelled as "Naked Grape" and generally around the $15 mark. The store is filled with cartons standing in stacks and bright posters, declaiming the wine's provenance and tasting notes. One of our party undertook a detailed tasting, while I simply wandered around aimlessly until the words "toffee apple" caught my eye. Hook, line and sinker.

There was much joking as this was poured out, several hours later, but it actually wasn't bad. Nor is $15 spent for a 2003 Yarra Valley Pinot Noir. Figman cracked open a bottle of the considerably more expensive Tasmanian stuff the next night and, sad to say, it wasn't as palatable. Score: One backdown by Mr "You can't find good Pinot under $50". Here's to aimless wandering!

Reminder: please send your Cooking For Children Easter Treats to me at favouriteplum(at)yahoo.com.au by 23 April 2006.

3 Comments:

At 11:51 AM, Blogger lazy cow said...

I haven't been down Bay Street for a couple of years (I used to go all the time as I lived around the corner). Love the Readings there, and that Tessa Kiros book is so beautiful. I've got her previous one Falling Cloudberries from the library and am itching to try out some of the recipes.
"Toffee apple" would have got me too.
BTW, I would post a children's recipe but we only do hot cross buns, does that count?

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger plum said...

Hi Lazy Cow (you don't know how hard it is for me to address someone as that!) - hot cross buns count absolutely! I haven't made them since I was a teenager and devoted my holidays to it, but I think they'd be perfect.

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger Anastasia said...

Love your blog - great pics!

I think Tessa Kiros' new book looks divine!
I have her 'Falling Clouberries' and its my favourite cookbook ever!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home