Saturday, July 09, 2005

Speaking of Haigh's

Niki at Esurientes http://esurientes.blogspot.com/ is about to head off on the Haigh's Chocolate Factory Tour.

It's funny, because sitting here on my desk is a golden bag which up until an hour ago contained my first set of Haigh's filled creams. I have always been fond of Haigh's, although I do find their chocolate bars a little sweet. I enjoy it as a treat every now and then but it's not chocolate I'd like every day.

In the Age's Epicure section this week, they featured an article about what food and drink to pack on holidays, and prominently displayed was a handful of Haigh's Lemon Myrtle creams. They were so cute - the little round brown creams, with a perfect bright yellow spot on top. I just had to have some.

Today I was near a Haigh's store and made good use of this. I selected just a handful - two of Lemon Myrtle Cream, Violet Cream and Rose Cream. I suppose the name "Cream" should have made me think of Peppermint cream and how I Do Not Like that texture nor taste, but it didn't.

After dinner tonight with Figman and my brother - slow cooked lamb shanks with couscous - I brought out the chocolates. We were all bursting from the shanks, so it was a perfect little sweet taster to end the experience.

I bit into the Lemon Myrtle Cream and was instantly shocked. I don't know quite what I was expecting, but it wasn't the gloppy, incredibly sweet, filling. Once I got past this, the flavour was quite nice (I'm very fond of lemon myrtle) but simply too too sweet for me. My brother tried a Violet Cream and didn't say anything. Once I tried one, I realised why. I said "This tastes like Face Cream" and we then diverted to a conversation about Face Creams I Have Known. You will not catch me eating that one again.

The last one I tried was the Rose Cream and it was lovely - still very sweet but with that turkish delight flavour I adore. We ate the last one curled up on the couch, watching the results of the second French battle on Iron Chef. It was nice, but I'd rather have pashmak.

The verdict? An occasional indulgence, not an everyday treat. And not Vi(o)le(t) Cream, ever ever again.

5 Comments:

At 12:16 PM, Blogger Barbara said...

Welcome to blogging Plum. I've added you to my Blogs in the South Pacific list.

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger plum said...

Oh Barbara, doesn't the foodblogging world get smaller and smaller!

I went to your site and thought "hang on, I know you!". Well actually, I've enjoyed your comments on the Chocolate & Zucchini forums for ages.

Isn't that funny?

and my first link - that's so cool! thank you!

Plum

 
At 3:02 PM, Blogger Kelly said...

Hi Plum, it's always terrible to hear about a bad chocolate experience! Maybe you should wash your mouth out - with some other kind of chocolate - to get rid of the nasty flavour! ;)

 
At 3:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Small world indeed Plum. I'll be looking out for your entries into the food and wine challenges now.

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger Niki said...

Thanks so much for your comment on my blog, and I'm so pleased to find yours.
The Haigh's tour was a little underwhelming really, but it was impressive to see how they really *do* make everything by hand. Watching the women hand dip and decorate the chocs was impressive.
I totally agree with you about Haigh's cream filled chocolates. Augustus Gloop wrote about Haigh's recently and I left comments about them there, but in short, I find the creams centres FAR too sweet. They make me cough. I like their blocks and buttons, but their bars are also too sweet. However, their dark chocolate rocky road is excellent!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home