Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Food Poison Casserole

Well actually, it was a curry. You see, Figman has this thing about waste. Hates it. Loathes it. Detests it. (you get the picture). And I was clearing out the meat compartment yesterday when I found some chicken thigh fillets I'd bought on Friday. They were large and plump, but also coated in that bacteria-laden slime so beloved of food poisoning epics. I was about to throw it out but I KNEW what F would say if he saw it in the bin. We have very different views about what constitutes spoiled food and I'm happy to admit that I once squirted dishwashing liquid over a pan of lamb chops to stop him from ingesting them. Anyway, I knew that Figman would insist on eating this.

FINE, I thought and decided that if I was going to do this, I might as well do it properly. So I found some ancient curry paste which had formed a crust over the surface at the back of the fridge and threw it together with some yoghurt whose use by date was more than a week ago.

I gave the man a full disclaimer and he demanded a platefull. He said it tasted delicious. Humph.

5 Comments:

At 10:08 AM, Blogger plum said...

I don't get it. But he was fine and ate it for dinner again last night. He said "this is a simple but good curry. You shouldn't knock it".

 
At 4:29 PM, Blogger Ange said...

You are very brave, I always chuck stuff out as soon as the use by date comes up & with meat I dont even trust that sometimes! Hope your all well?

 
At 4:33 PM, Blogger neil said...

I did some part time work at the Melbourne congress centre once, and the executive chef used to check ALL the rubbish bins. Woe betide anyone who chucked out anything even vaguely edible.

 
At 10:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just peeped in to see your blog lavandula swiss Italian Autumn festival is very interesting to read. Nice write up.

 
At 4:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm like that with red meat but with chicken I take no chances.

I even campaign against warm chicken salads in spring and summer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home