Monday, January 15, 2007

Lovely Lettuce


It's been a wild and woolly summer here in Melbourne. From hail to the hottest day on record to snow all in a couple of months, it hasn't exactly been your average pleasant summer, weather-wise.


Add to that the impact of the bushfires in the Victorian countryside. There have been days when I've stepped outside, only to smell the thick layers of smoke in the air and go straight back in. This is hundreds of kilometres from the bushfires, so I can only sympathise for those living nearby.

I expect that all of this has had an impact on the quality of the lettuce and greens available locally. Certainly what I've found at the market has been limp and drab, not up to the usual summer standards. I'm therefore very lucky to have F, who adores gardening and can be found pottering around in the garden most evenings after work, delighting in daylight saving.



From my seat at the kitchen table, I can hear him and the Little One chattering, as they taste mint and basil and pull out a few weeds. Then they move on to the hand watering of pots and pots of herbs, lettuce and tomatoes. By now the Little One is shouting determinedly "My do it! MY DO IT!!" as he lifts a watering can and tips the contents over a plant. It's so sweet to watch, even sweeter than fresh greens from the garden on a summer evening.

9 Comments:

At 8:27 PM, Blogger Cerebrum said...

Wow! That sure is lovely lettuce!

 
At 7:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We've been having some crazy weather here in the northern hemisphere too, an extra warm winter. I love growing my own lettuce. I've grown some of this romaine lettuce. I would hate to have to purchase this at the supermarket now.

 
At 8:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful Lettuce Plum.

 
At 12:49 AM, Blogger Squishy said...

It's really nice to see your warmth for your family :)Thank you for sharing. Lovely blog by the way.

 
At 5:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely pictures. Is that a little coriander in there amongst the leaves? I missed the boat with lettuce this year. I've got some tomatoes coming through, though.

 
At 9:05 PM, Blogger Suse said...

Pretty lettuce.

Also, just wanted to say (reading posts further down the page) that I have copperware too and it is distressing how quickly it tarnishes. It is divine to cook with though.

Oh dear, now you've delurked and I've found you in return you might just be getting me addicted to food blogs (one of the few areas of the blogosphere I've been immune to thus far).

 
At 11:22 PM, Blogger LBA said...

That lettuce looks heavenly.

I also have a Master Gardener in the making. He doesn't get water restrictions though, although it's an incentive to have a bath .. as we then get to scoop the water for watering the garden...

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger plum said...

Hi Zarah Maria - lovely to see you back!

Hi Tgentry - yes the storebought stuff is hard to contemplate once you've grown your own.

Thanks Barbara.

Hi Squishy - I like to record some of these little moments to remember down the track!

Hi Kitchenhand - good eyes! Yes that is coriander, which I have to admit I had missed. As it bolted shortly afterwards, we haven't been able to eat it but it was nestled in there!

Hi Suse - food blogs are great! I read mostly food and "mama" blogs and it's a wonderful way to enjoy the web.

Hi H&B - they are so funny in the garden. Our little one is soooo bossy!

 
At 1:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"my do it"!!!
my two year old niece is well into her "my"'s. she often says "my do it" but is also partial to "my waiting my turn" and "my's book/toy/weetbix".

kids are funny ha ha

 

Post a Comment

<< Home