Thursday, December 06, 2007

In Which I Eat Some More Caramel Icecream



I read about someone visiting the Maggie Beer farmshop recently and writhed with jealousy when she mentioned tasting the Burnt Fig Jam Honeycomb and Caramel Icecream. I've bought plenty of Maggie's fruit pastes and verjuice, but presumed the icecream was only being sold in South Australia.


How wrong I was. It is on the shelves at Leo's, in upmarket delis, it can now be yours too! But only in small, small doses. This is not a mild, light ice dessert to gulp on a warm summer day. This is a full on, heavy, silky and rich cream confection, to be treasured in teaspoons. I love icecream, but after a couple of (dessert) spoonfuls, I had had enough. With no temptation to go back to the freezer for another scoop.

I think this would be fabulous with poached pears and makes a great dessert for a dinner where you require "oomph" without effort.

6 Comments:

At 8:13 PM, Blogger Sophie said...

I read the same comment as you about the ice-cream and at the time it upset me very much too. Good to hear it is available farther afield - do you think it would survive the post to England? :-)

 
At 1:05 AM, Blogger Shauna said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh my lordy i've been so tempted to lick the monitor, juuust in case there could be such a thing as taste-o-vision! wow :)

 
At 8:38 AM, Blogger Shaun said...

Plum ~ This sounds like the sort of ice cream I would go to the trouble of making, especially since at home I can control the amount of egg yolks and sugar. Maggie Beer has exquisite taste, though. I love her tv show "The Cook & the Chef". I don't suppose this ice cream is exported to New Zealand, so I'd best just try to make it myself, especially as figs are in season.

 
At 9:12 AM, Blogger Duyvken said...

we had some of this at Christmas and still have the final dregs in the freezer because we can't bring ourselves to finish it. It's delicious. We've been trying to find a good vanilla ice-cream with caramel through it for a while now. Any suggestions for me? We used to buy one (about 10yrs ago) that was lovely but it seems to have gone out of fashion a little.

 
At 5:28 PM, Anonymous Grill Pan said...

This looks so beautiful. Very nicely done. I love this.

Thanks.

 
At 12:31 AM, Anonymous Gladys L. said...

Ice cream is for summer but I can't resist to eat that now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home