Sunday, July 01, 2007

(My Favourite Plum) Jam


I love good jam. Long gone are the days when I spread the sticky sugary supermarket stuff on my sourdough. Amongst my dozens of jars in the fridge can usually be found something from the excellent Annie Smithers range, a jar of Bonne Maman Peach Conserve and one or two from Phillippa's bakery in Armadale. Their raspberry jam, with raspberries from Silvan Estate, was a constant until I happened upon the summer seasonal jam: strawberry jewels with vanilla. I loved this jam with a passion. Whole fruit, slipping in thick red jam. I bought jars of it at a time, I gave it for Christmas presents. Once, when I couldn't find any at the store, I walked around with an eagle eye, until I spotted the jars which had just been made on a side shelf.

So you can imagine how I reacted when I found out that the summer supply was exhausted and there was no more until next year. I sulked. Big time.

Until it became apparent that there was a replacement on the way. Dark, tangy plum jam. Made from damsons, this is the perfect winter preserve on toast, over yoghurt or on wheatmeal bisquits with Havarti cheese. I can't say that it's my absolute fave, but it's definitely my favourite plum jam.

5 Comments:

At 2:56 PM, Blogger LBA said...

We still have some Phillippa's Single Estate Raspberry in the fridge - it came in a Xmas Hamper we were lucky enough to receive.

Not that anyone here really eats jam :(

:)

 
At 4:36 PM, Blogger Gill Stannard Naturopath said...

Yum. A dollop of nice plum jam on hot porridge is also pretty nice :)

 
At 1:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just dropped by your site.
Good to know that you have a cutie girl new.Congratulations!!!!!.

And I did a pluot jam plum + apricot.
Take care.
From
Ramya( currently offline)
(Cascading Flavors)

 
At 7:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks very much for the Jam Tips! Hope this doesnt seem like spamming, but I wanted to pass on to as many Melbourne food lovers as possible the great news that "Beard Papa" is opening a store in Elizabeth Street, the railway station end on the 7th of August. I lived on these fantastic cream puffs in Japan and am ecstatic they are finally here too.

 
At 5:42 PM, Blogger lazy cow said...

You fell off my Bloglines!
I've not tried Philippa's plum jam, but our local cafe sells a fabulous plum and vanilla jam, which is more WHOLE plum than jam, but I adore it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home