Friday, July 22, 2005

He Came In With Krispy Kremes


He walked in the door and my face lit up. "Krispy Kremes! You brought me Krispy Kremes!"

To fully appreciate this moment you have to understand - I had begged. I had cajoled. I had pleaded, but to no avail. Figman was not going to detour to the "ridiculously located" Krispy Kreme outlet at Sydney Airport on his way home. (It appears that the store is not actually at the airport but some distance away, in the middle of the taxi rank and not at all accessible by mere mortals.)

I do like a doughnut, but Figman is the true connisseur in our household. At one point, I was chasing down doughnuts all over the suburbs and he eventually settled on one - the Laurent jam beignet. So it was a little unusual that I was begging for a doughnut and now he was refusing.

So when he came in with Krispy Kremes I was stunned. Not at the doughnuts, but that he did it despite his protestation. This however was soon explained. "They clearly realise that no one is going to risk missing their plane to go and get a doughnut from the back of beyond. They've now set up little stalls outside the boarding gates."

I have been waiting a while to taste these. When I first heard that Krispy Kreme were coming to Australia, I expected a Melbourne store to follow soon. But no. And after reading about them here and here, I was a little bit impatient. Just a bit.

I opened the box and inhaled. The aroma was sweet - so sweet, it was almost off-putting. But I bit in. Light and airy and sugary sweet. The texture is nothing fantastic - Figman said bluntly "it's very Doughnut King to me". Purists only consume these when fresh and hot and I can see how that could make a big difference.

I left the box of original glazed and returned to my crisp green apple. But soon, despite not being impressed, I couldn't get the taste out of my head. I WANTED ANOTHER ONE. And it was so. Disgusted with myself, I studiously ignored the fourth and remaining doughnut. Figman had polished off his and then asked if I wanted it. "No". I hesitated. "They're quite rubbishy really, but ..." we finished together "there's something about them that makes you want to stuff your face!".

For the record, Figman got the last one, while I got a bite out of it. And thank goodness he didn't get the large box!

4 Comments:

At 9:07 PM, Blogger Niki said...

I agree entirely! We bought some every day when in San Francisco and my mum and brother adored them. I quite liked them, but found the texture a bit airy - certainly better than most donuts though. But I didn't fall for them enough to turn evangelical about them.
However, I am hanging out to try one fresh and hot from the oven, to see if my opnion changes. And I would recommend any Aussies try them, to compare with some of the awful ones we get in school tuckshops and cafeterias.

 
At 11:17 AM, Blogger Kelly said...

Heh heh. I also begged my other half to bring me back a box of KKs from the airport when he went to Sydney last.

For true converts, their website says you can order from the Sydney airport store and they'll fly your doughnuts to your nearest airport for you!

 
At 3:41 PM, Blogger plum said...

My goodness, that is real devotion, isn't it? Doughnuts by air ....

 
At 11:29 PM, Blogger eat stuff said...

Have you seen the boxes that people get on the plane with? (there is an outlet at both terminals but I don't know if they make them inside)
IT IS CRAZY!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home