Monday, July 11, 2005

Who knew butter could taste so good? Bourdain, that’s who. In Kitchen Confidential, he mentions it as the reason restaurant food tastes so much better than home cooked food.

But in my recent organics order, I tried a new type of unsalted butter - Tatura, which I hadn’t tasted before. Throwing Plumbaby's dinner together, I sautéed chicken breast in about 100g of butter, and then added zucchini julienned. It was meant to be a simple baba dinner, but it was unbelievably tasty. Figman and I were both sneaking bits out of the pan on the grounds that we were “testing” for temperature etc. It could only be the butter.

But the Plumbaby rejected the chicken after one bite, and refused to even countenance the zuchinni. He was about to be sent to bed, when I noticed how hard he was crying and that his molars seemed about to jump through his gums. Both parents felt suitably chastised, and some cold leek and sweet potato soup with rice was fetched and fed to the sobbing child. He ate a HUGE portion, which shows that he wasn’t being fussy and he was still hungry, he just couldn’t chew with his gums hurting like that. Aren’t we awful parents??

He ate all his lunch today, so I don’t feel so bad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home