Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Something From Summer


Sometimes I get a surprise - something springs up and overwhelms me with its tastiness when I'm expecting well, something pretty run-of-the-mill.

I purchased this simple slice of pizza (more in the French than Italian style). I just wanted a small snack to keep the hunger away in those hours between say, 11.30 and 1.00 pm. I popped this in a bag and strolled home and didn't think twice about it. Until I bit into it. Summer in a slice.

Crisp base. Firm dough. Grilled cheese, an anchovy and some soft broccoli. But the star, the overwhelming sensation was of grilled red capsicum (that's pepper to the Northerners). It wasn't overly oily, it was soft and pliant and just bursting with flavour, the way capsicum rarely is in mid-winter. I suddenly thought of picnics and barbies - long summery afternoons with a glass of champagne and a handful of apricots.

I suspect I will have to dig out Forever Summer for some inspiration. This girl needs a summer fix now.

2 Comments:

At 11:56 PM, Blogger Rachael Narins said...

Do you get a lot of imported summer foods in Australia during winter?

I am a huge fan of your blog, its great!

Rachael

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger plum said...

Thank you for that Rachael, you don't know what it means to me! I am so new at this (not even one whole month yet!) that it kind of stuns me when anyone notices my blog, let alone likes what I'm doing!

Melbourne has a lot of produce available year round - you just pay a lot more for it and it doesn't taste as good. I don't bother with tomatoes in winter for instance, even though they've come down from the sunny north of Australia, they simply don't have much taste, however red they shine.

I saw passionfruit at my local market the other day and thought "that's just wrong" - passionfruit in July? But if someone came up to me with a bag of plums right now, I could not resist. I wouldn't even try to! Four more months to summer ....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home