Thursday, October 13, 2005

Cheesymite Scroll Story



Is this not golden perfection? I don't know about the non-Aussies out there, but this, to many of us, is the answer - vegemite, cheese and a roll all in one. They sell them at Baker's Delight and trust me, I delight in them.

When they first appeared, I was mildly horrified. In a "who would eat that?" kind of way. I don't even remember how I first tasted one, whether it was a sample on the counter or an eager friend egging me on, but I do know that I rapidly became addicted. To be clear, I don't eat white bread. Maybe once in a while, when I'm utterly bored or it's something truly fabulous. But this, I find hard to resist. I have to walk past the Baker's Delight booth and look the other way, so not as to be tempted by the savoury smell, calling out to me!

I am also very ashamed to say that while the Plumbaby was in utero, I could not keep track of how many I ate. Maybe it was something to do with needing all that Vitamin B. It is Vitamin B in Vegemite, isn't it? After I'd read aloud to Figster about all the wholegrain, organic nutritious food I should be eating, he'd come home and find crumpled Baker's Delight bags in the bin. Oh Internet, I am so ashamed. But if I can't confess to you, to whom can I? And anyway - they're really, really good.

5 Comments:

At 7:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I shall walk past our Bakers Delight today and check them out. Sometimes aI make little mini pinwheels with pastry, vegemite and cheese to serve with drinks.

 
At 9:12 PM, Blogger plum said...

Hi Glutton Rabbit - I didn't know about the zinc, but I suppose that makes sense! All the better for me!

And Barbara, it made me giggle to think of you checking out the vegemite scrolls! I am such a bad influence! Nevermind, I'll try to post about broccolli tomorrow!

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger Niki said...

think Plum Baby will definitely be a Happy Little Vegemite as bright as bright can be, with a kick start like that! :-)
I've never tried them; like you I don't tend to eat white bread, especially white bread from big bakery chains, but I have tried some of their croissants once, which were quite good, so I might have to give this a whirl!

 
At 8:09 PM, Blogger melt said...

Ooooh...

I used to eat these every Saturday morning, when I was working opposite said bakery. Great hangover cure!

Now, working in Thailand, I drop by your & other's blogs to remember Melbourne food. Thank-you for the perfect homesickness indulgence today.

 
At 12:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

these were so good ... lived in melbourne several months and ate these beautiful rolls! probably hopeless to try tracking them down in the states.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home