Monday, September 12, 2005

Getting Worked Up

I have a secret. Okay, it's not that big a deal, but I sometimes get my groceries delivered. Usually the big stuff - kitchen towel, washing powder, that sort of thing. And now there are a few local organic fruit and vegetable companies which deliver weekly as well. I have tried most of them with varying levels of impressedness and settled on one which I find reliable.

I suppose the reason I'm so uncomfortable with this is that I like choosing my own fruit and veg. I like glaring at apples suspiciously and thinking "see that bruise? that apple will be wrecked in FIVE MINUTES? and that cabbage is TINY - it's definitely not worth what they're asking". But the Green Line Online isn't too bad, and they record my preferences, so they know not to bother packing plums if they're too soft and so on. And a lot of what I order doesn't need personal attention - it's pasta sauce and penne and breakfast cereal.

Anyway, now comes the true confession part: I was scanning my list of fresh vegetables and the last item in that section was zucchini. I have wanted zucchini for a few weeks now but it isn't in season and I have been trying to eat seasonally (particularly with the expense of out-of-season-organic often being well, outrageous). I hummed and hawed and eventually thought "Go on! Treat yourself to a little zucchini!".

And then I stopped in my tracks. Treat myself to zucchini??? My idea of a TREAT is zucchinni?? How has it come to this?

I obviously need a bar of chocolate and a lie down.

7 Comments:

At 11:14 PM, Blogger Cerebrum said...

LOL!!

 
At 8:26 AM, Blogger Niki said...

I'm with you on the zucchini. I used to HATE it as a kid, and now I can't get enough. Just grilled with some dried oregano (the stuff from Greece dried on mountain sides by young virgins..) and olive oil.
Although, we're eating quite a bit of zucchini from my nonna's veggie garden at the moment...so it must be coming in to season?? They're very small (fingerlike) at the moment.

 
At 10:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go see Charlie with some chocolate in your purse.

 
At 11:33 AM, Blogger dani said...

There should be more like you.

 
At 9:36 PM, Blogger plum said...

Thanks guys! It's nice to know I'm not the only one!

I'm not sure that I can go see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I understand that it's quite faithful to the original movie and even as a child, I remember LOATHING the chocolate river. It just turned me off the entire movie. I sat there and looked at this BROWN WATER gushing through the set and thought "This is a multimillion dollar movie and they can't do any better than BROWN WATER?". Willy Wonka is every kid's fantasy and BROWN WATER instead of a river of gorgeously silky gentle molten chocolate?

I was scathing back then and I suspect not much would have changed for me now. Although, Johnny Depp was in Chocolat and surely he wouldn't tolerate any wishy washy stupid brown water? Surely? Maybe I can go ..

 
At 2:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha! Funny post! It's not all that bad...I think brussel sprouts is a treat :)

 
At 10:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is some great blogs. I was reading back about your comment about zucchini. my favourite treat is tomatoes and of course "Bananas". keep up the good work

 

Post a Comment

<< Home