Friday, August 19, 2005

A Tale of Two New Food Magazines!





Strolling through the newsagent to pick up my secret vice, an English magazine (which shall not be named) I happened upon TWO Aussie food mags which I had never seen before!! Not one, but TWO!!

The first, was Hunter Gatherer, which describes itself as "the mail order magazine for food lovers". I was tempted by the "1000+ Gourmet Brands" listed on the cover, but if I'd stood and flicked a bit longer, I would have discovered that I am familiar with many of these brands already. If you live in the country, this would be a good resource, but with all that Melbourne has to offer, I'll hold on the mail order for now. (they also had a good offer on Wonderflex silicon bakeware)

The other magazine, I think will become a sure favourite with me. Now I have a fondness for a launch issue (I still have my original delicious and marie claire) and Regional Food Australia looked too intriguing to say no to. I almost did, because this issue featured King Island, and I thought "when am I ever going to get to King Island, lovely though the idea might be?". Well let me tell you, now I want to go NOW.

Regional Food is a bit different to most food magazines, there is a real sense of the small group of individuals running it. After an ad, the magazine opens with four double spreads of gorgeous photography - landscapes, black cows and swans, ageing cheeses and a crateful of crayfish. The style is quite different to much of that on the local food mag scene. I feel now that I can't wait to go try a crayfish pie from the King Island Bakery or buy eggs from David and Sandy Holloway.

I have kept many old issues of delicious which I have no intention of cooking from or ever re-reading, simply because they offer a guide to various places in Australia. I think that I can dig these out and ditch them now, because Regional Food is here to stay!

3 Comments:

At 12:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Regional Food looks great. Thanks for the info. I've already ordered a subsciption to be delivered to my Mum in WA. You should ask them for commission!!

 
At 4:18 PM, Blogger plum said...

Oh Barbara, I hope she likes it! (I suddenly feel very resonsible for what I say here!!)

But I do like it - just reading it makes me feel like I am on holidays!

 
At 11:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure she will. She is under strict instructions to post it on to me after she, my sister and sister in law have all read it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home