Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Like Kissing a Lusty Mermaid



Dinner tv has been excellent for the past couple of nights. We are viewing the final season of Frasier at last (don't get me started on the ludicrous behaviour of Australian commercial networks which buy established series and then SIT ON THEM for over a year!). On Tuesday night, the delightful episode in which Niles and Frasier conspire to acquire a source of superb caviar screened and I enjoyed it hugely. I could sympathise with Roz as she became obsessed with caviar and couldn't think of anything else. It's usually chocolate that does that to me though.

And tonight, SBS screened the first of a five part series Heat in the Kitchen, which documents the impact of the annual Good Food Guide Awards in Sydney. What stunned me most, was learning that the husband and wife team of a 2 hat restaurant, Balzac, took home $480 per week between them. Oh, and they lived in a garage.

Food really is passion for some people. The restaurant life is a hard hard one, and I can't imagine working those kind of all-consuming hours for that kind of pittance. And even swanky Aria needs 1200 diners per week just to break even! It must be love, must'nt it? There really isn't any other explanation.

2 Comments:

At 2:25 AM, Blogger eat stuff said...

Balzac ROCKS the food is soo good!

 
At 9:50 PM, Blogger plum said...

Good to know Clare - I am thinking of doing a tasting trip up to Sydney soon and am already mentally planning a list of places to eat. I'll put that on now!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home