Sunday, August 14, 2005

Something Orange from Greytown



Recently at the Essential Ingredient, I stopped at a display of new chocolate from New Zealand. There was a salesgirl amongst the piles of chocolate, arranging them, and when she saw me at the counter, she came forward. As she was totalling my purchases, I mentioned that I'd been lingering by that stand earlier and wondered what it was like. "Oh, would you like a tasting?" she asked casually. As if it meant nothing! As if I would dream of saying no! She recommended the sea salt mix, but as this was made with milk chocolate, it really wasn't to my taste, although the saltiness was interesting and made me think of this dessert which I've long wanted to try. I enjoyed the lemongrass chocolate, but felt that this was a flavour combination I'd enjoy more in a dessert rather than in eating chocolate. And the strawberry could not be found in the pepper and strawberry . I don't remember the rest, but I do know that the one I had been debating over - Tangerine, was not available for tasting in the tiny portions.

But I bit the bullet and it was mine.



Shoc, in Greytown, New Zealand, produce an amazing range of flavours. I liked the Tangerine, but I'll have to hunt out the coconut!

6 Comments:

At 5:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gosh I have never heard of this company (and I thought I had my finger on the pulse of NZ!). I'll be on the lookout now.

 
At 3:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh! I love new chocolate discoveries! Sounds wonderful and interesting...

 
At 10:26 PM, Blogger plum said...

Barbara, Barbara, shame on you!!! Hee hee. I thought you'd be full of info about these guys!!

Yes Joey, I love a new chocolate. But now I'm really hankering to make that sea salt and chocolate dessert - maybe this weekend!

 
At 4:40 PM, Blogger Niki said...

Sea salt chocolate - wow!!! I've been dreaming about salted caramel macarons from Paris, but salted chocolate sounds amazing!

 
At 2:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I discovered this Chocolate in Wellington and whenever I go to Greytown I always head to their shop. The chocolate is the best I've ever tasted and quality can not be faulted and I've eaten a lot of chocolate all over the world! Lemongrass is great, as is ginger; cardamon; and basil. Unexpected combinations with the choclate but fanatstic and suprising. Recommended to chocolate appreciaters everywhere! Jacqui Lower Hutt....They also do tasting days for girls days out apparently

 
At 7:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This place is amazing! My favourite is the lime chili in dark chocolate and for the indivdual chocolates try the passionfruit or the peanut butter(not anywhere like a reese's cup more like praline with a hint of peanut butter)Yum!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home