Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Eggy


Fanny over at Foodbeam has a recent post about eggs, and specifically the colours you might find in different egg yolks, be they French, English or Italian. Frankly, I used to think Nigella was being a little pretentious when she went on about getting her eggs from Italy, but if they have lovely red yolks, maybe I would too!

And I wanted to show Fanny what colour Australian yolks are, very specifically, Clancy's BioDynamic Free Range Eggs. I got a half carton, so I didn't get to read the full label and discover if these are the chickens which are protected not by fences but by special guard dogs (I kid you not). But the eggs are lovely and the yolks are gorgeously yellow, as you can see here.

One thing that has me a little puzzled is that the store where I purchased them from keeps them unrefridgerated. Eggs deterioate very quickly at room temp and these are people who have a drinks fridge and a cheese fridge (and that's just in the front of the shop - not the kitchen!).

I have been amusing myself with Elizabeth David's ruminations on eggs recently, from Is There A Nutmeg In The House? and I just had to share this passage with you.
Separating the eggs is such a basic kitchen operation that it is surprising to find that people are actually frightened of it. Indeed special gadgets have been invented to help the nervous and the inexperienced. In this respect, the best gadget I know is a good fresh egg.

Well said! The above photo came from a recent lunch, 4 minute soft boiled eggs just the way I like them - yolk runny but firmish and white set. And my, the devotion that goes into being a food blogger! I took my eggs off the stove where they'd been simmering and then thought "Oh, I want a photo of this, they look pretty". So I scurried around to find the camera, pot still in hand, eggs continuing to cook. Then as I tried to take the picture, the lens became covered in fog from the steam rising from the hot water. This is not the first time this has happened. I am not a quick learner. It suddenly dawned on me that if I put cold water in the pan, both the eggs would stop cooking and the water would stop steaming. It took about 10 minutes before I got to sit down and eat my lunch, but hey, I got the shots. And that's what counts to a food blogger, right?

9 Comments:

At 5:52 AM, Blogger Cerebrum said...

Good God, that is one gorgeous egg! Yum, yum, YUM!

 
At 8:31 PM, Blogger Niki said...

Wow - they do look perfect. Just how I like them, but very rarely get them that way.
Gawd, I can't stop looking at it!

 
At 9:45 PM, Blogger plum said...

Thanks Zarah Maria and Niki!

I used the Stephanie Alexander method from Cook's Companion, which is to dump the eggs in warm water until they come up to room temp and then simmer for four minutes.

 
At 9:53 PM, Blogger plum said...

Hi Cin, we must have posted our comments at the same time! I took them from the fridge, put them in a bowl in the sink and ran the hot water tap over them until the water in the bowl stayed hot (Mr Bracks will be shouting at me about this no doubt!). I boiled a kettle for the saucepan and when I poured the hot water into the sauce pan, I also poured some into the bowl, so that when I plonked the eggs in the pan, they were close to the temperature of the simmering water. This I find is the best way not to have the shells crack with egg everywhere.

Soy sauce on eggs? That sounds interesting. I am supposed to be giving up salt for a few weeks soon, but soy sauce is also on the banned list, so I will have to cope without!

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger Kelly said...

Hi Plum, these eggs look great!

I was reading somewhere about separating eggs and the writer raised a point I'd never thought of... That it's not a good idea to use the two broken eggshells to separate eggs because bacteria from the outside of the shells could transger onto the actual egg white or yolk...

I decided that generations of cooks have done it this way and ignored their advice!

 
At 1:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the photos on this post! I'm impressed!

 
At 2:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They are perfect eggs Plum!

 
At 9:24 PM, Blogger plum said...

Hi Kelly

That hadn't occurred to me either, but I do tend to worry about that method because I am naturally clumsy and have been known to pierce the yolk of the egg with a bit of the eggshell at a very crucial moment! Leading to shouting in the kitchen. And another egg being pulled out and - you can guess what happens here. The Nigella method of holding the yolk in your hand is sensible - if you can tolerate that squidgy feeling!

Hi Beth - it's lovely to see a comment from someone new. I logged on and saw 8 comments on this post and thought "8 comments? I don't get 8 comments". Of course, I wrote 2 of them myself, but still, I think it's a record. Welcome to my blog!

Hi Barbara, I didn't realise until I read yours today that I missed Blog By Mail AGAIN!! How do I keep doing this? Hmmmmn. Must keep more up to date. Although, who am I kidding??

 
At 11:33 PM, Blogger *fanny* said...

Hi your aggs look so good. That makes my wish to go to australia even more strong.
Love
Fanny

 

Post a Comment

<< Home