Saturday, August 27, 2005

Blue Chillies Restaurant Review



Figman, Plumbaby and I joined the family for a long lunch the other day. The food was Malaysian and spicy, the wine was from New Zealand and coolly delicious. This photo is of a fried snapper dish - heaped with a zesty sauce and coriander. This was one of my favourites, but truly, it paled into comparison with the thrice-cooked duck - I could have eaten a full serving of this myself (and one day, I swear I will!). Meltingly tender on the inside, crisp on the outside, it was a duck lover's dream. I have gone from being a person who orders duck in restaurants to cooking it all the time at home, but I now appreciate how time consuming it is to make it taste this good. I don't know how it was cooked three times. I suspect possibly fried, then braised, then quickly deep fried. And then topped with wild ginger flower and lime sauce. Ooooh ...

Few of us could touch dessert despite the tempting list, but a stalwart had the creme caramel with blood orange sorbet. One taste of this and I regretted not ordering dessert. Or rather, being stuffed so full of other tasty food that I was practically incapable of eating dessert. Now I have my order planned out for next time - just duck and dessert, duck and dessert thank you. And did I mention that there is an Alannah Hill factory outlet next door? What more could a girl require from a casual Sunday lunch?

182 Brunswick Street, Fitzroy
(03) 9417 0071

2 Comments:

At 10:11 PM, Blogger Niki said...

Oh wow - I was just there last week for the first time! It's nice, isn't it; we really loved their belacan spinach and the spicy eggplant. I would have loved to order the duck, but there were 7 of us, so we went for more curry/noddle shareable type dishes. But I do want to return; apparently their laksa is excellent, and I want to try that duck (love duck!), and maybe end up with the chocolate chilli mousse?

 
At 1:33 PM, Blogger plum said...

I knew that I wanted the chocolate mousse as well, but I couldn't remember what was in it - now I know it's chilli!

I find that many of the mid-price Asian restaurants in Melbourne don't have particularly good desserts (there are exceptions, but they are few) and it was really interesting to find not one but two desserts I really really wanted to eat.

Figman wanted the laksa too, but we were with a group so it wasn't really appropriate to order, but I'll see if I can talk him into it soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home