Monday, October 17, 2005

Spring Racing Carnival

Melbourne in spring is about many things but one that the locals take very seriously is Spring Racing Carnival. Melbourne is the racing capital of Australia at this time (although Sydneysiders would dispute it) and everyone gets dressed up to the nines - men with suits and buttonholes and women in dresses, fascinators and hats. Each major race has a different buttonhole - although I only learnt this fascinating fact on Saturday at the Caulfield Cup.

Yes, I was fortunate enough to be offered hospitality at this event and let me tell you, it was all champagne, cleavage and canapes! I had a lovely time, drinking in the spring sunshine and watching all the weird and wonderful outfits. And I picked a winner! Although not by any study of form books or racing guides. I simply looked at the list of horses and went "Hmmmn, Roebouchon - reminds me a little of Joel Robuchon". And that, dear friends, is how I did it! Easy peasy!

1 Comments:

At 3:29 PM, Blogger Niki said...

Somebody should tell the Channel 10 presenters; I think they wear the same corsage for the whole carnival!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home