Saturday, October 22, 2005

Sale Watch: Kmart


Yes, you see, I don't spend all my time at fancy chocolate school or sipping champagne at soirees! I wandered into Kmart today and picked up a catalogue at the entrance. I usually stand there and read it and if there is nothing of interest, I hand it back as I walk in. I flicked through and it was very tedious stuff (I don't know, tyres, playstation, blah blah blah) and then a few books were featured. I Could Not Believe My Eyes. This book, The Cook's Book, which retails for $79.95, was on sale at Kmart for $49.95. And Twelve, Tessa Kiros's best seller, which has now been released in paperback, is half-price at $24.95!

I hastened off to the books section with catalogue in hand and found heaps of both books. I looked through Twelve, but it didn't really grab me. I mean, I have several Italian cookbooks and in fact, just bought this one, so it would have to be something very unusual for me to take it. And, I have had my eye on Falling Cloudberries for ages, I think that that is her book that I would like to have. Of the two, that is. So I put Twelve back, but not too reluctantly, because I am trying to be honest about buying cookbooks these days and if I really truly don't adore it and must have it, then it goes back. No arguments. Doesn't matter how cheap it is.

On a side issue, I don't much care for the re-issue in paperback of this or the Food of the World books recently. The Murdoch Food of the World books are gorgeous (and I have a particular weakness for the Food of France and China) but they are fairly big books and I don't see how they can be properly enjoyed in paperback - it just makes it too unwieldly. The price is more affordable, but I can't see getting these into a cookbook stand without difficulty and likewise, reading it flat on the kitchen table. This actually motivates me to try to pick Falling Cloudberries up before it goes into paperback, because I would rather pay an additional $10, not to have to cram it open all the time!

So, I think The Cook's Book is terrific value at this price and I might just possibly have snuck a copy into the car boot and I could be waiting to smuggle it in past the Figman when he's not watching. And as it's almost November now, it could be an early Christmas present. Definitely. We'll see.

Postscript: If I had read the stupid catalogue more carefully, I would have seen that Lindt 100g blocks are on sale at $2 each. I must have been distracted by the 15% off irons. Oh well, sale on until Wednesday!

8 Comments:

At 12:45 AM, Blogger eat stuff said...

how tempting are cook books *sigh*

thanks for the heads up on lindt though!!!! Thats great!

 
At 2:02 AM, Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

Very funny. I almost laughed out loud when I read your line "I'm trying to be honest about buying cookbooks these days." Me too! It's an ongoing struggle not to give in to temptation.

 
At 4:36 PM, Blogger Niki said...

Bugger! I was at KMart yesterday (buying a souffle dish...heh). But the place gave me a headache pretty quickly so we got out of there pretty quickly. To think I missed out on cheap Lindt and cheap cookbooks! Bugger!
That food of France book is great; it's where I found my chicken liver pate recipe that I love.

 
At 10:48 AM, Blogger plum said...

Hi Clare - I also tried that new Plaistowe couveture recently - it's not too flash, is it?

Hi Kalyn - I am so happy to find that there are other people like me out there!! I am very bad at resisting these temptations - but I should just carry my credit card bill around with me, that would do it!

Hi Niki - oh, the dish was for your Alice Medrich souffle! Looks great by the way. I really like that Food of France book too, though I haven't made pate in years.

 
At 12:03 PM, Blogger Niki said...

Ah, yes - but not the souffle pictured. I made another one I haven't posted abut yet (it was WAAAAY salty!)

 
At 11:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd definitely invest in Falling Cloudberries if you can get it on special. I was reading it at the weekend and it now is dog-eared with post-its marking all the recipes I want to cook. I got it out of the library and my month is nearly up so I think I might have to - ahem - do some sneaky photocopying. Does anyone else photocopy recipes from cookbooks that they love but can't afford?

 
At 8:54 PM, Blogger plum said...

Hi Niki - one of my favourite foods is salt. It'd have to be pretty salty for me not to like it!

Hi Caroline, I wouldn't worry about being sneaky - the copy place or library is unlikely to fuss about it and I think (in Australia anyway) a certain amount is allowed under the copyright law for ahem *legitimate study purposes* But I'd advise you to count up the number of pages first - you might get to the end and think "hey! I just spent half the cost of this book copying extracts!". It of course depends how much it'll cost you to copy. Or you could just keep extending and extending your loan of the book!

 
At 8:54 AM, Anonymous Ingrid Bissinger said...

Greaat post thanks

 

Post a Comment

<< Home