Saturday, May 27, 2006

Hide and Seek

I don't know how I'm going to break it to the Plumbaby that now that his throat is feeling better, he's not going to be getting chocolate ice cream for breakfast anymore!

At least we won't be resorting to desperate attempts to get his medicine into him. He quickly learned that whatever was in the syringe tasted nasty ("strawberry" flavoured my arse!) and however I doctored it up, it was no go. He would turn his head to the side, purse his lips and when cornered, would simply wait until it was all in his mouth and then let it trickle out one side.

I thankfully remembered Roald Dahl's Danny the Champion of the World. And if I remembered rightly, Danny devised an ingenious way to poach pheasants from the wood - by slitting open raisins and concealing tranquilisers. I took a plump sultana and inserted a tablet. Squished it closed and you could hardly tell it had been tampered with. Certainly Plumbaby couldn't, well, until he chewed it.

We soon fell to new versions - hidden in banana, inside soft peach, wrapped inside some fluffy bread. Plumbaby's reaction ranged from weary acceptance to bitter disgust - when Figman hid one in chocolate he received some dark, dark looks and a glare that said "I'm not going to be falling for THAT one again". But the course of medicine is over. And just as well, because we've run out of foods to hide it in!

Reminder: Please email your entries for Cooking for Children 2: Birthday Party Food to favouriteplum(at)yahoo.com.au by 29 May 2006.

4 Comments:

At 12:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think you can just hold his mouth open and shove it down his throat with a finger and hold his mouth closed and stroke his throat like you can with a cat. pity .
Just joshin!

Maybe if you could break it up into not need to be chewed bites it might hav4e worked??

 
At 2:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have sent my entry to your email also.and my entry is
Carrot cake

 
At 8:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reminds me of the time we tried to put eye drops in my sons eyes. The doctor said do it at night when he's asleep. He screamed so loudly the neighbours rang the police! True story Plum!

 
At 10:49 PM, Blogger plum said...

Hi Clare - trust me, I'd try almost anything! I had to get the tablet in in one chunk because as soon as he tasted it, he wouldn't eat that food anymore.

Hi Ramya - thanks for that.

Oh Barbara, how awful! and yet how funny. Oh dear.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home