Thursday, November 03, 2005


Halloween is not a particularly Australian institution. To me, it belongs in the final scenes of ET and the occasional US sitcom. But this day is the birthday of a family member and so, all day long I mutter to myself "don't forget to call, don't forget to call", not "lay in a store of Mars Bars".

So when there was a knock at the door in the early evening, I opened it in some surprise to find a small warlock, his feline sister, a half-pumpkin half-child and a miscellaneous costumed one standing there expectantly. Their faces were so sweet that I couldn't bear to dash their hopes immediately. "Um, just hang on a second" I said and I ran into the kitchen. There were no sweets to be found, no random packets of Milo bars or Cherry Ripes. I could have given them an organic date each, but I suspect they'd have been pushed back into my letterbox later in disgust!

Looking around frantically, I spotted a box full of chocolate callets. I grabbed some mini ziplock bags and scooped a couple of handfuls of chocolate into each one. The kids seemed pleased and I'm glad I didn't have to break the news to them that they were being given an orange or a stick of celery. And the best part is, I now feel perfectly justified in buying this chocolate. Just for this type of emergency, you know!

3 Comments:

At 7:07 PM, Blogger Niki said...

Heh - my brother's birthday is Nov 1st, so Halloween for us was always something to do with birthday celebrations too!

 
At 6:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny! No--I don't think an organic date would have pleased them at all!

 
At 4:56 PM, Blogger plum said...

Hi Niki - I think that your pumpkin rocks definitely were on the festive mark! Maybe when Plumbaba is a bit bigger I'll get into it. You've never seen a child so fascinated by other children at the door.

Hi Lisa - welcome! I've just checked out your site and I LOVE your culinary confessions! I'm too embarrassed to get into mine ...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home