Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Some Things Go Together


You see these cakes? I hope Figman's parents enjoyed them, because this was the last I saw of them. The photo was taken shortly before we departed for the airport and Melbourne. We were in Perth recently to attend the wedding of our dear friends L and C. I have known L. for almost all my adult life and it was wonderful to see her and C. married. Their ceremony was held inside a chapel in Leederville, high above a lake. I have walked past this many times but never guessed how beautiful it is inside. Beauty that takes you by surprise can be the best.

The reception was something out of this world. I had never been to the venue before and to suddenly step out onto a giant round stone terrace, sun setting where the river meets the ocean, a string quartet playing beautifully, dolphins leaping through the waves - it was one of the most romantic moments of my life. Lovely to catch up with people I haven't seen in ages, to drink champagne and watch the ships and pleasure boats moving along the river. And the food - I haven't even gotten started on the food.

Before we left, my mother, was quizzing me about the wedding in the way that mothers do, and she asked about the reception. "Um, it says substantial finger food", I answered, fishing around in my bag for the wedding booklet which accompanied the invitation. She looked puzzled for a second and then said "Well, it is C. and L. There's no way you'll go hungry with them. They are serious about food".

And they are. I had no doubts that I wouldn't be hungry, but even I was surprised at how much we were invited to taste and just how good it all was! We started with miniature vegetable frittatas and moved on to seared scallops in chinese spoons. There were oysters and king prawns, arancine and tiny tartlets with caramelized onions.

My favourite of the night was undoubtedly the salmon skewers. Cooked to perfection, these substantial skewers of salmon were presented with a ginger and lime sauce and were just delicious. Later in the night there were larger dishes - coq au vin in little bowls and saffron fish in noodle boxes. I am reliably informed that it was fish in the boxes, because I took one, and was so engaged in conversation that I put it down on the table behind me, and when I turned around to claim it it was gone!

L. and C. eschewed the traditional wedding cake and had a selection of small cakes and desserts - dark chocolate cakes with prunes, orange coconut cakes with white chocolate decorations and a fresh berry dessert that was so light and refreshing I couldn't say no to two!

As we were leaving, I had an orange cake in my hand and someone (I think it was the groom) insisted that I take a chocolate cupcake as well. I have to confess that the white chocolate garnish didn't last long on the ride home, but the rest of the cakes made it safely into the fridge for a post-wedding breakfast. At least that was the theory ...

Let's not talk about the next morning when I had to get up and catch a four hour flight. Let's not, okay?? Figman's parents still think I'm a respectable woman (why, I do not know, but they do) and I'd like to keep it that way! I managed to snap a quick photo of these before we left the house - any idea of breakfast long, long gone. But the cakes still looked good - chocolate and prune, orange and coconut - flavours that belong together. Just like L. and C.

2 Comments:

At 11:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's the problem with weddings. You're running around so much that you don't get to eat half of the food that you ordered (and paid for).

I'm hoping that one day I'll get invited to a function catered for by the lovely Ms Gare so that I can actually sample all of her food.

Anyway, in case anyone is interested, here's the full menu.

Oyster & Prawn Bar
Natural oysters on ice
With bloody mary shooters & all the trimmings
Tiger prawn pyramid

Cocktail Food
Seared salmon skewers
With a wasabi, lime cream

Slow roasted tomato tarts
With goats cheese & caramelised onion

Kangaroo Fillet Crostini
With chilli jam
And roasted garlic aioli

Vegetarian fritatta
With sweet potatoes, leek, red peppers & spinach

Parmesan crumbed risotto cakes
With slow roasted tomatoes & basil

Yorkshire pudding
With eye fillet of beef in rosemary & red wine jus
Finished with crispy leak

Grilled Lamb cutlets
With lemon, rosemary, thyme & garlic

Cocktail items on a china spoon

Sweet potato gnocci
With gorgonzola & hazelnut sauce

Grilled scallops
On blanched spinach with a lemon & lime buerre blanc

Little bowl meal

Tamarind fish on coconut rice
With cucumber salsa

Coq au vin
On creamy mash

Small Sweet Treats

Berries & double cream
Served with cupcakes (lime and coconut and prune and chocolate)

 
At 12:23 PM, Blogger plum said...

Welcome C. - great to see you here! Yes, I think we should go and it should be a really boring function so that we can concentrate on the eating!

Looking at the full menu, I'm going "I can't believe I missed that!" and "I knew I shouldn't have gone to the toiilets then!". Ah well, what I had was delightful. Although if I find out that Figman had some kangaroo fillet and didn't save me some, I'll stab him with a cocktail skewer!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home