Sunday, June 18, 2006

Post Party Pasta or Nigella's Rigatoni Al Forno


I've added another entry to Cooking for Children: Birthday Party Food, so check out tankeduptaco's Flourless Chocolate Cake. I have to say that I don't agree with Nigella Lawson's proclamation that children only care about icing. They deserve decent cake too! But I took a leaf (or recipe rather) out of Ms Lawson's Feast during the birthday celebrations, and cooked up Rigatoni Al Forno. She says that this is excellent for soaking up the booze and that she prefers it to lasagne - though it has the same basic sauces, you escape the tedious layering.

You whip up a jugful of white sauce and make a slow cooked meat sauce (2 hours cooking time minimum). The meat sauce contains 2 cups of red wine (I used shiraz cabernet) and I found the taste too dominant. Figman however, loved it. But when (yes, decidedly when) I make this again, I intend to substitute a cup of passata for half the wine and if I were serving it to children, I'd probably cut the wine altogether.

So the sauces were made on the morning of said party and popped aside. I even managed to grate (double) the cheese beforehand, so all I had to do during the tail end of the festivities was boil the water, cook the pasta, mix, sprinkle and bake. Supposedly the recipe serves sixteen. I had doubts about my biggest roasting dish and also the numbers for dinner, so I only cooked (only!) a kilo of rigatoni. It should have been 1.5 kilos. And when I swirled the sauces in and tipped it into the roaster, I scooped out a couple of bowls as I was petrified that it would bubble over during cooking. Even so, and despite being 2/3 of the recipe and in the biggest dish you could imagine jamming into my oven, it still bubbled over! I was cleaning bits out of the bottom of the oven today. Just so you can see how giant the dish was, I present ...


I have to put it on an angle even to get it INTO the oven. But the rigatoni was pretty good. Figman told me not to give up making lasagne, but I must admit, this is a lot easier. Girls went to bed while the boys stayed up eating more and more pasta and watching random bits of the World Cup.

Picture of meaty goodness inside (though that sounds like an ad for a pie!).

And I know this isn't a sport blog but speaking of the football AUSTRALIA V JAPAN - THREE - ONE! THREE - ONE!!!!! There are some things worth staying up till 3am for. Though I don't recommend stuffing your face with leftover rigatoni al forno while you do!

7 Comments:

At 4:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks delicious - reminds me of, what's that Greek pasta lasagna thing? Pasticciata? Anyway, looks tasty. I think I'll try making one of those for tomorrow - talk about a time saver - boil pasta, eat half today, make the casserole and have dinner pre-made tomorrow!

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger Ange said...

Look delicious, love a great simple & hearty pasta dish at any time!

 
At 9:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Plum! Looks yummy! I imagine this is a crowd pleaser :) BTW, saw that game...boy, those last 8 minutes...woohoo!

 
At 12:12 AM, Blogger Anna (Morsels and Musings) said...

Hi there,

Every week I post a link to seven recipes that I've found on other blogs that I think are interesting or unique. I call it Recipe Carousel because the idea is to spread good recipes around and around and around . . .

This week is a pasta theme and I have included a photo of and link to this recipe http://morselsandmusings.blogspot.com/2006/10/recipe-carousel-16-pasta.html

I hope this is OK with you, but if it's a problem please let me know.

All the best,
Anna

 
At 5:31 PM, Anonymous costa rica hotels said...

Hello I love your article is very good ... should put more information on your topic
"Post Party Pasta or Nigella's Rigatoni Al Forno"

 
At 5:39 AM, Anonymous Extended Warranty said...

Leftover food is always the best!

 
At 4:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anyway, I am adding this RSS to my email and could look out for much more of your respective interesting content. Make sure you update this again soon.
EZ Flash IV

 

Post a Comment

<< Home